Our Council's History
The First K of C Council North of the Missouri River in KC Metro Area
A Tradition of Giving
In the fall of 1950 several Catholic men from several parishes around the Kansas City area met to discuss forming a Knights of Columbus council to serve the parishes in the Missouri counties of Ray, Platte and Clay. They proceeded to promote the idea at the various parishes which were in those counties. By April of 1951 enough men had been identified to form what became known as Tri-County Council #3414 of the Knights of Columbus.
The charter members included men from a variety of parishes including St. Anne (Excelsior Springs), St. James (Liberty), St. Charles (Oakview), St. Gabriel (KC North), St. Patrick (KC North), St. Therese (Parkville), and others. As other parishes were formed in the Northland including Holy Family and St. Raphael these too were served by council 3414.
As time went on many of the original parishes grew enough in population so that they could support a council of their own. Thus many of the existing councils in the Northland were offshoots of Tri-County council.
Meetings were held on the parish grounds of many of these parishes until the 1970's. In the 1970's the council began looking for property to purchase in order to have a building to call their own. In 1973 the current property at 7501 N. Kensington Ave was located. The original edifice was a rather old and somewhat worn down two bedroom farm house with no running water, no gas and substandard electrical. However it sat on 13 acres of beautiful rolling farm land. It also was somewhat equidistant from many of the parishes the council was serving at the time. New electrical, city sewer and city water were added as time went on. Since that time the property has been renovated several times, the most recent being in 2010.
Since 1951 our council has contributed countless hours and many dollars to charitable and Catholic causes in the Northland, in Kansas City and in our country. We plan to continue the tradition of giving for many years to come.